The “Just Right” RAID for All Storage Needs
When two bays clearly aren’t enough storage for your needs and eight bays feels a bit ambitious for now, enter the ThunderBay 4. This “just right” Goldilocks of storage solutions offers the space, speed, and flexibility you can use for both current and future needs.
There’s a reason ThunderBay 4 is our most popular multi-bay RAID storage solution. You can use a variety of 3.5-inch or 2.5-inch drives for everyday digital file storage and backup all the way to running multi-stream compressed 4K video. With two Thunderbolt ports, it gives you the muscle to move all that content.
And ThunderBay 4 is highly configurable to perfectly match your storage needs. You can use each drive independently, or with OWC SoftRAID XT configure your setup with the optimal balance of performance and data-redundancy. Get the most out of your storage, take the brakes off your workflow, and do more with a ThunderBay 4.
Cool. Fast. Empowering.
Each populated ThunderBay 4 solution undergoes OWC’s multi-hour drive “burn-in” performance certification procedure prior to shipping. This ensures your ThunderBay 4 arrives operating properly and ready for demanding use.
Built on OWC’s time-tested enclosure cooling technology, ThunderBay 4 utilizes an open “flow-thru” vented design with an oversized 92 mm, low-turbulence, noise-quieting fan to keep the drives running cool and reliably.
ThunderBay 4s’ drive isolating design reduces sonic resonance, and is aided by over-sized, rugged, vibration-absorbing, non-skid feet.
Daisy-chain up to six ThunderBay 4s’ for massive storage capabilities and increased performance, or connect multiple ThunderBay 4s’ to multiple Thunderbolt 3 ports to achieve exponential speed capabilities.
Gain a 4K Perspective
With a dedicated DisplayPort 1.2, ThunderBay 4 empowers you to add the fresh, crisp perspective of a 4K display to your workflow. Whether in your home office or on a mobile studio job, seeing your work in full detail is just one connection away. Use it to free up your laptop port so you can dock in and out quick.
The “Supply Chain” That Always Delivers
With two Thunderbolt ports, the ThunderBay 4 lets you daisy-chain up to five additional Thunderbolt devices and displays while keeping Thunderbolt ports on your laptop or desktop free for other uses. You can learn more about how to connect multiple Thunderbolt devices to your computer with this easy-to-flow infographic.
Includes SoftRAID XT: Easy and Complete Drive Management
SoftRAID XT is the most powerful, intuitive software RAID utility on the market. Multiple RAID options let you select the RAID level that fits you or your project’s needs best. If you need maximum volume capacity, optimum drive performance, data protection, or a combination of attributes, SoftRAID has you covered.
Packed with features like drive validation, verification and failure prediction—SoftRAID includes features you simply don’t get with hardware RAID. It’s like having a datacenter on your desktop! From home users looking to protect photos and documents to professionals needing to protect and quickly access projects, SoftRAID is the perfect solution.
- Advanced: Create RAID 0/1/4/5/1+0 (10) arrays*
- Protected: SoftRAID Monitor constantly watches your disks and alerts you if problems are detected
- Validated: Volume validation ensures sectors can be read and parity is correct
- Certified: Checks disks before use to ensure they are safe for data storage
- Vigilant: Error prediction helps protect against unexpected failure
- Universal: Move SoftRAID arrays seamlessly between Macs and PCs with built-in OWC MacDrive technology
SoftRAID provides a level of performance that you simply can’t get with hardware RAID. Learn more about the power of SoftRAID XT.
Workflow and Storage Solutions for Pros
Whether you’re finishing and mastering, creating proxies or working with state-of-the-art VFX and AR, you need dependable tech that keeps pace with your demands. OWC workflow and storage solutions cover every angle, delivering blazing speed, capacity for all five levels of RAID, and bonus features like the freedom to daisy-chain and hot-swap.
Use the chart to find the perfect match for your workflow and storage. View chart.
Thunderbolt Made Easy
We make it easy to choose the right gear. Our Thunderbolt Certified products offer the same performance and functionality whether they are Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4. And if you’re rocking a beloved Thunderbolt 2 machine, we offer an adapter so you can plug into our universe of award-winning solutions. No hassles, no confusion. That’s the OWC Difference.
Your Digital Life…Protected for FREE
Backing up and protecting your data is critically important. But all too often it’s a task that falls to the bottom of the “to do” list, and you don’t realize it until it is too late. That’s why OWC has partnered with Acronis to give you 1 full year of the #1 personal backup and antivirus software to integrate into your workflow.
Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office safeguards you from today’s data threats—from accidents to failures to attacks. With easy, intuitive backup and Ai-enhanced antimalware technology, your digital life is protected—photos, files, applications, systems, and the devices they are on.
- Complete Backup and Fast Recovery: quickly restore your files or entire system at any time
- Easy Disk Cloning and Full Image Backup: just two clicks to start a full disk image backup
- Cloud, Local or Hybrid Cloud: back up locally, to the cloud, or both. It’s your choice
Learn more about Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office
- Thunderbolt 2/Thunderbolt compatibility requires a certified Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 (mDP) adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 cable (available separately). This configuration provides data transfer at up to 20Gb/s but does not support notebook charging.
- SoftRAID XT works with macOS 10.12 or later and Windows 10. M1 Macs require macOS 11.3 or later. SoftRAID is licensed per computer.
- RAID 4/1+0 (10) are Mac only at this time.
- (1) 0.7M OWC Thunderbolt Cable
- (1) US Power Cable
- (2) Security Keys for Front Panel Lock
- (1) Quick Start Guide for OWC ThunderBay 4 with Thunderbolt 3
- (1) Assembly Manual & User Guide for OWC ThunderBay 4 with Thunderbolt 3
- (1) Quick Start Guide for OWC SoftRAID XT
- (1) Manual & User Guide for OWC SoftRAID XT (1) Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office (1 Year Subscription)
- 1 Year OWC Limited Warranty
OWC ThunderBay 4 Specs
|Number of Bays||4 x 2.5″/3.5″|
|I/O||2 x USB Type-C (Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gb/s))
1 x DisplayPort (DisplayPort 1.2)
|Compatible Drive Interface||SATA, SATA II, SATA III|
|RAID||RAID 0, 0+1, 1, 4, 5|
|Bridge Chipset||Intel DSL6540|
|OS Compatibility||Windows 10 or Later
macOS 10.12 or Later
*As of June, 2022: Check with manufacturer for the most up-to-date compatibility
|AC Input Power||100 to 230 VAC, 50 / 60 Hz|
|Power Source||AC Adapter|
|Operating Temperature||50 to 95°F / 10 to 35°C|
|Storage Temperature||-40 to 149°F / -40 to 65°C|
|Cooling||1 x 92 mm Fan|
|Material of Construction||Aluminum|
|Dimensions||9.6 x 7 x 5.3″ / 24.38 x 17.78 x 13.5 cm|
|Weight||8.6 lb / 3.9 kg|
|Package Weight||10.55 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||12.6 x 10.2 x 8.6″|